Equivalent for Quicken "classes"

Dudley Brooks dbrooks at runforyourlife.org
Thu Feb 4 16:52:57 EST 2010

(I searched the mailing list online for various combinations of
"quicken", "class", and/or "project" and found nothing.  I can't believe
no one has asked this question before.  Possibly the online search
engine isn't working correctly?)

I'm considering switching from Quicken to gnucash, but first I want to
make sure that gnucash can handle one of the Quicken features which I
use the most frequently.  I don't currently have gnucash installed, so
I'm not sure my statements about it, below, are 100% accurate.

Quicken lets you have Payees, Accounts, Categories, and Classes (Classes
being, roughly, projects).  In gnucash, imported Categories become
Accounts.  What's the equivalent for Classes?  I know there is something
like Cost Centers (can't remember the exact term) but they are only
within individual accounts.  By contrast, the four Quicken terms can
completely cut across each other in any arbitrary way.

How do I use gnucash to lump together individual transactions in various
accounts to represent particular projects?  And is there any way to
automatically import the Quicken Classes and assign them properly?