"Edit exchange rate" has stopped working (2.2.9)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 8 11:29:00 EST 2010

Adam Funk <a24061 at ducksburg.com> writes:

> On 2010-02-03, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> Adam Funk <a24061 at ducksburg.com> writes:
>>
>>> I opened the price editor, deleted all the entries for EUR in January
>>> 2010 (they all had source "user:xfer-dialog"), and closed the price
>>> editor.  Then I tried edited the exchange rate in the EUR100 =
>>> GBP89.36 withdrawal again ("to amount" 100); that created an entry in
>>> the price editor
>>>
>>>  EUR  GBP  20/01/20  user:xfer-dialog  0.893600
>>>
>>> but the amount in the Cash EUR account *still* shows 96.48 instead of
>>> 100!  I'm baffled.
>>
>> Note that once you have a transaction you cannot change the "amount"
>> from the edit exchange rate box.
>
> Why in the world am I not allowed to do this?  Once you have a
> transaction, you can edit the split amounts in that register's
> currency and add or remove splits.  Why not change the exchange rate
> or the currency value in the other account?

Because the transaction already exists.

Note that I said "you cannot change the amount **FROM THE EDIT EXCHANGE
RATE BOX**" (emphasis mine).  I did NOT say that you cannot change the
amount.  You can most certainly change the amount from the register.

> I regularly enter estimated transactions for things like foreign cash
> withdrawals (based on the previous exchange rate), so that I can tell
> roughly how much money will be in my bank account, and then correct
> them later.  I'm sure this used to work.
>
> I also take auto-completed transactions and modify them, including the
> exchange rate.  I think this used to work.
>
> Have these things been changed between 2.2.6 and 2.2.9?

I don't remember; 2.2.6-2.2.9 was years ago.  You can look at the change
history as easily as I can.