Mutual Fund Sale Details

Mike C. subscribe307 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 8 12:09:52 EST 2010

I purchased a mutual fund some years ago and have had dividends
reinvested since.  I recently sold some of the shares and followed the
procedure in the documentation under selling shares including the asset
sale and recognizing the profit all in one transaction.  Then the "view
lots" shows an incorrect profit gain.  If I separate the transaction
into two transactions, 1.) asset sale/asset gaining account and 2.)
asset with zero shares/ Income capital gains, then the correct profit
gain is shown in the "view lots".  Also now if I save the file and
reopen it there is an additional transaction with a description of
"Realized Gain/Loss" and no numbers except a "1" in the asset share
price.  If I delete this transaction, then in the "view lots" the profit
is incorrect.
This seems like a confusing and complicated way to show a sale if this
is the expected result or have I done something wrong?  I am using
version 2.2.9 on Windows XP.  Maybe someone else has had a similar
experience.
Mike