SXs for mortgage druid not paying attention to "i" value

Beth Leonard beth at slimy.com
Tue Feb 9 01:32:38 EST 2010

Hi,

I finally started using a feature of GnuCash I've been ignoring for years,
the scheduled transaction Mortgage & Loan repayment druid.  Everything seemed
fine when I first set it up, I clicked ok and ignored the specific values
each month as it created transactions, but now I'm trying to reconcile
the principal vs. interest payments with the bank statement and noticing
abnormalities.

In particular, every month looks like the first month of the mortgage (September).
While the payment remains the same, the interest should be going down and the
principal amount should be going up over time, but they're all duplicates of
September's payment.  If I go into the SX editor and tell it to create the next
ones 60 days into the future, now in February the March transaction it creates looks
like September but the April transaction looks like October ought to.

It appears the SX creator is not getting the proper 'i' value in the transaction,
it's always getting the value '1' unless it's creating more than one at a time,
in which case the first one gets a 1, the second gets a 2, etc.

That looks like a bug to me, but I can't find it in Bugzilla and I would have thought
this would hit many people and be reported by now, so perhaps I'm doing something
incorrectly.

Here's what my SX looks like:

Loan repayment-Payment    pmt(0.04750 / 12.00 : 180.00 : 10000.00 : 0 :0 )
Loan repayment-Principal ppmt(0.04750 / 12.00 : i : 180.00 : 10000.00 : 0 :0 )
Loan repayment-Interest  ipmt(0.04750 / 12.00 : i : 180.00 : 10000.00 : 0 :0 )

I do not have "create automatically" selected, I review them by hand (but clearly
not as diligently as I should have been) when GnuCash starts up.

Thanks for any advice,
--Beth
Beth Leonard
http://www.LeonardFamilyVideos.com