Generating Personal Expense Reports

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 18:33:17 EST 2010

On 2/10/10 8:19 AM, Paulo J. Matos said:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to be able to generate a report for a set of expense accounts
> and a set of months that show as a line plot the expenses for that month.
>
> Basically a plot with months on the x-axis, expense amount as y-axis
> and one line per expense account. This would be the easiest way to see
> if my expenses in specific categories are increasing or decreasing.
>
> I tried to find something like this but nothing came up. Can I
> actually implement this in gnucash, or as a gnucash plugin?

If you're willing to compromise a bit to avoid hacking, you can
customise the `Expense Barchart' report to show you a stacked bar chart
(not line chart) of your expenses over time. You can even get a table of
the monthly expenses right below it.

To my mind line charts should be used to show rates, such as exchange
rates and prices; and bar charts to show amounts or quantities. But YMMV.

HTH,

Yawar