No Notes for Scheduled Transactions

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 11:52:16 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 10:47 PM, RaPquest <genericem at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> thank you
>
> understand what your saying and agree - it looks like a bug
>
> for me its a big problem ... have a partnership checking account where 4 of
> 5 transactions a month are scheduled - so changing them is pain in neck and
> time consuming ... Quicken worked (wasn't a problem)- maybe I should
> continue with it.

I should be clear -- from some previous discussion (which I cannot
find now) I believe it works exactly as it was designed, however I
agree with you that it would be good if the Notes field carried
through in the scheduled transaction as the Memo fields do.

The thing I do when I have multiple similar scheduled transactions is
extend the Description (aka Payee) field. So for example if I have a
newspaper subscription for me and also one for my mother, I might have
the scheduled transaction descriptions say "Deadtree Gazette (me)" and
"Deadtree Gazette (mom)" so I keep them separate. This also serves to
identify them readily in the Scheduled Transaction Editor
descriptions.

P.S.: Quicken is a fine program and there's no reason you shouldn't
keep using it. It works well. I used Quicken for quite a few years,
though I became increasingly annoyed and concerned about having my
data locked up in a proprietary system with Intuit essentially selling
my own data back to me (upgrade fees) and using my own computer screen
to sell advertising space to third parties. Fortunately GnuCash has
been a fine program, too, and despite its rough edges I have never
been concerned that my data will be destroyed if I don't pay an
upgrade fee.