Copying files from Linux to MAC

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri Feb 19 15:13:25 EST 2010

On Friday 19 February 2010, Nigel Horne wrote:
> Geert Janssens wrote:
> >> My business partner has a MAC.  If I zip Gnucash's files and email them
> >> to her she can read them, but they open read-only.  Any thoughts?
> >
> > There should be no need to zip them. GnuCash compresses the files by
> > default using gzip.
> >
> > It the files are read-only for her, it's likely she didn't really unzip
> > the file, but her Mac may be treating the zip file as a read-only folder.
> > So as long as the file is inside the archive, your partner can't change
> > the files.
> >
> > Try to send her the file without zipping it first and see what happens.
>
> Please don't assume that I zipped to compress the files - that isn't the
> reason I zipped them.

Sorry, I didn't realize that.

> There are a lot of files in the Gnucash directory on my Linux machine,
> so not just one file.  That's why I zipped it so that it was all on one
> archive file, and I don't know that her desktop would read a tar file.
>
> So the next question is, which file in my directory should I send?  Or
> should I try tar? And will that fix the permissions problem?

I don't run GnuCash on Mac OS X, but in general this should be valid there as
well:
You directory will contain
- your actual gnucash data file (for example "MyAccounts"). This file may
  have an extension as well, on linux that's .xac
- log files, they are all called <datafile>.<datestamp>.log
  for example "MyAccounts.20100219174939.log"
- backup files, which are all called <datafile>.<datestamp>.xac
  for example "MyAccounts.20100219174939.xac"

Your partner only needs your actual gnucash data file, so the one without any
datestamp in the name.

I hope that clarifies it a bit.

Geert