Problem locating Data File in Windows 7

twodogron price4us at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 13:06:53 EST 2010

Mike Leone wrote:

> twodogron had this to say:
>> Hi,
>> Yes I've tried "Save as" but that doesn't seem to work..
>> Also, I don't get any "permissions" warnings of any kind....
>>
>> I use 3 partitions on one Disk, C:\ where I keep the Windows O/S..., D:\
>> where I keep all my installed programs and backed-up Data files and then
>> P:\
>> where I keep all of my Pictures and Photos.
>>
>> This setup didn't produce any problems with XP Pro SP3 but this is the
>> third
>> program I've had problems with under Win 7..  the other programs acting
>> up
>> under this configuration are email clients...
>
> Was this an in-place upgrade from WinXP?
>
> Have you tried need to change the ownership and the permissions on D:
> and P:. You'll need to do that if either is an external drive, BTW.
>
> You have to change both - change the ownership, *and* add your Win7
> account to the permissions of the drive, especially if it's an external
> drive.

Hi Mike..
Not an Up-Grade, but a clean full install of Windows 7 Professional...
As I said previously all my partitions are on the same drive (none are
external) and C:\ was used to install Windows 7  O/S,... (Win XP
Professional SP3 was located there previously)
D:\ and P:\ were untouched by the Win7 install so I only needed to
re-install my working programmes on D:\..
Surely "permissions" shouldn't come into Windows when you are logged on as
Administrtor, this aspect is much more relevant in Linux surely.....
It must be said that only GnuCash and Thunderbird Email have been acting
like this, although I've now got Thunderbird performing OK, GnuCash is
not...
Thanks for the suggestions Mike..
Ron...