Problem locating Data File in Windows 7

twodogron price4us at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 13:26:37 EST 2010

Mike or Penny Novack wrote:

> twodogron wrote:
>
>>Since installing Windows 7....... GnuCash cannot locate the Data
File.......
>>Everytime I start GnuCash 2.2.9.  I have to locate the Data File on my
>>drives and then "point" GnuCash towards it.
>>I never had this problem with Windows XP.
>>Has anyone else come across this problem ???
>>

> Could this possibly be a case of forgetting how we did things that we do
> only VERY rarely? (each time we create a new set of books and store them
> somewhere)
> I can't remember precisely how since it's been years since I associated
> a NEW directory. But when you do an "open" you get a list of choices,
> yes? What did you have to do to add your old books to this list?  In
> other words, you try to open the new books (wherever you saved the file)
> and you have to point there first time. BUT at that point there is
> something you can do to "add location" and then next time it would be in
> the list and you can select it.
>
> Like I said, I can't recall the exact procedure, something I have only
> ever done twice, the first time several years ago and the last time more
> than a year ago.
>
> Michael D Novack
>
> PS --- Perhaps this is something you have never done before if your old
> books were kept in one of the default locations GnuCash always has in
> that list.
>
> --
> There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the
> equality of the grave.

Hi Mike,
I think I see what you mean, when I use "open" I can add the File to the
"List" in the lower left hand column of the search box.. I did this but
GnuCash still cannot find the File without me "pointing" to it again, in
fact everytime I start GnuCash I have to point it to my Data Files..
I have two GnuCash working files, one personal finance for me and one small
business file which I operate for my in-laws,... when I operated under Win
XP GunCash would load which ever File I last used and saved.
It does not work like that under my Windows 7..
My Data file is named in the .gnucash file in the C:\USER\USER NAME\
Directory under "Books" but this has no benefit in GnuCash finding the Data
file at start-up. To be honest I don't know what .guncash is !!!!!
Antway, Thanks for that..
Ron..