reply-all should be discouraged

cognitive.libertarian+ml at gmail.com cognitive.libertarian+ml at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 01:29:06 EST 2010

* Fred Bone <Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com> [2010-02-22 07:15]:

> > The proper way for someone to request personal copies simply to
> > include the header "Mail-Followup-To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org, [their
> > personal address]".
>
> "Proper"? Please cite the RFC that standardises this. AFAIK it only
> ever made it to Internet-Draft status.

The RFCs give good guidance on what's considered proper, but you're
trying to reverse that, and expect everything considered proper to
trace back to an RFC.  I don't expect to find all forms of etiquette
and "good ideas" (tm) to appear in an RFC.

Since you seem to consider Mail-Followup-To improper, please tell us
the proper way to indicate reply preference.

You outright disregarded my preference in your reply to my post, and
in a discussion around it, so I would be interested to know what type
of indicator would compel you to not send personal copies of public
replies to those who don't want to receive them, if Mail-Followup-To
is unacceptible to you.