How to View transactions prior to "Close Books"?

alavarre alavarre at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 15:11:51 EST 2010

Thanks in advance, I have searched without joy: How do I view transactions
older than the "Close Books" date?
:-/

My file was misbehaving and over 1 MB, so I thought it might be time to
close books and simplify things. So I very carefully saved the file under a
new name, then executed "Close Books" with an effective date of 12/31/09.

But the new file refuses to show any transactions prior to the month that I
did "Close Books" (February 2010) for the accounts that were open when I did
so.

I can do a transaction report and see all the transactions back to when it
started (2003), and the file size hasn't changed, so I know they are all
still there. And if I open the file as root, all is fine. But as "andy"
nothing shows before February.

No problem, I thought, I'll just open the backup file. No joy! IT refuses to
show older transactions.

What about the backup files on my offboard drive? Nope, same result. Nothing
shows before February.

The offboard backup file was not loaded when I "closed books" so could not
possibly be corrupted or changed, so obviously it is a profile thing. If I
open the file as root I see everything. OK, a profile thing.

So I copy the **backup** profile (2/5/10) for the file to
/home/andy/.gnucash/books and overwrite the existing file profile, still no
change!

So nuke /home/andy/.gnucash, reboot, and try again. No joy!!

But if I open any of the data files as root, all is fine.

So obviously there is some hidden configuration file somewhere denying
"andy" access to older transactions.

But where? I even found /home/andy/.gconf/gnucash and replaced *that* with
the backup from last October, no joy.

I've searched the menus, rightclicked the files, nothing shows how to fix
this?

I'm sure I'll feel reeely dumb when someone tells me how to fix it, but I
will also be VERY grateful..

Best regards, Andy