Recording Non-Taxable Dividends

Richard Ryder rich.ryder at comcast.net
Sat Jan 2 12:15:21 EST 2010

Can anyone suggest how I should record stock/mutual fund dividends that
are reinvested within (U.S.) tax-deferred retirement accounts? Increases
in the number of shares in such investment accounts do not result from
present income. The income is only realized when taxable distributions
are paid from the accounts. Gnucash may not care about the distinction
between taxable and non-taxable income, but I don't want to have the
income counted twice, once when the dividend is posted and again when
the money is withdrawn (and the IRS wants it reported as "income").
-- Richard Ryder