past year accounting?

Tim Frost timfrost at xtra.co.nz
Sun Jan 3 02:39:17 EST 2010

On Sat, 2010-01-02 at 13:33 -0500, John & August wrote:
> Now that it is 2010 I no longer  get accounting summary reports for
> 2009. Can I get reports (Account Summary, Average Balance, Expenses
> vs.Day of Week,  Cash flow, etc) for 2009? What separates 2009 from
> 2010?

The separator is the current date.

For reports that are 'as at ...', the default is usually today's date.

For reports covering a period, the default period is likely to be one of
- the current month
- the current quarter
- period from start of month/quarter to today
- start of current (calendar) year to
    - today
    - end of current month
    - end of current quarter

In most cases, the report has options that can change these default
dates.  Because New Zealand tax reporting is based on a reporting date
of 31 March, while the gnucash default is end of calendar year (is that
the default for US federal tax calculations?), I need to explicitly
change the default period for reports that I produce, so that they cover
the tax period I am concerned with.

>  Do I need to start a new account for 2010?

you should not need to start a new account/file.  You should be able to
close off the books at 31/12/2009 (Tools->Close Book).  The close book
operation will generate two transactions (one for the expense accounts,
and one for income accounts).  These transactions will create a split in
each income/expense account that resets the balance of that account to
zero, and will have an entry in the equity account reflecting the
corresponding balance.