Stock price changes and asset-equity balance

Clayton Macdonald cm1950 at fastmail.fm
Sun Jan 3 10:46:39 EST 2010

I'm a new user who successfully set up an initial group of accounts such
that assets etc. and equity etc. balanced. Assets consist of stocks;
equity consists of opening balances. Looked good. Eventually, I updated
the current prices of my various stocks and mutual funds using the price
editor. The result was a significant imbalance between assets and
equity, i.e., a price update affects the value of assets but does not
seem to affect the value of equity. I am sure there is something very
obvious that I am missing - or something very stupid that I have done.
Any suggestions?