Longer file name...

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Sun Jan 3 22:59:55 EST 2010

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 04:05:22PM +0100, James Wilde wrote:

> On Dec 31, 2009, at 14:19 , Ken G. wrote:
>
> > Yeah, thanks.  I finally figure it out.  LOL.  It was something that never occurred to me.  I really had no idea.  LOL.  I tried it and I was able to recall last saved page.
> > Again, thanks and Happy New Year.
> >
> > Ken
> >
> > Fred Bone wrote:

> >> Save As.
>
> So if my original file was called 'Accounts' and I have a number of
> .xac and .log files in the same directory, and use 'Save as
> <Accounts>' I'll be back to one file?  And the others will be gone?

If you save as and specify a file name of hungryheffalump, the new file
name will be hungryheffalump.  The .xac files are od versions of your
gnucash file. kept in case things go wrong.  I once misreconciled a
transaction and found it very useful to look back in history to find the
place reconciliation stopped working properly.  That really helped
find the problem.

So after that I specified my retention time as approximately forty
years.  As long as I can afford the disk space (getting cheaper all the
time, why not?

And before you ask, I have a separate backup procedure that backs up my
hard drive and knows nothing special about .xac files.  It just
copies them all to a backup volune along with everything else.

-- hendrik