Year end procedure...

FireFly fireflys_98 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 3 23:36:46 EST 2010

- James Duerr

E-mail: FireFlys_98 at yahoo.com
---------------------
Discover a lost art - play Marbles. May 2004
www.marillion.com

--- On Sun, 1/3/10, Ken Heard <ken at heard.name> wrote:

> First I assume by "register" you are referring to all the
> journal
> entries made in the previous year.  A proper year-end
> procedure should
> completely clear out *all* the entries in income and
> expense accounts.
> It does not seem that the GnuCash year end closing
> procedure does so.
> Even if all the all those accounts are "zeroed" the
> accumulation of
> several years worth of now redundant entries will
> ultimately take up a
> lot of drive space.

Out of interest, would this include then (in your opinion) clearing all asset account transactions, and liability account transactions? I assume so because the income/expenses have to be the double side of somewhere. Personally I'd rather "waste" the disk space, but I don't have a vast number of transactions, so I'm not too concerned about the disk space.