password protection

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Jan 5 10:49:58 EST 2010

Tilo Haas wrote:

>Is it possible to set up password protection with gnucash?

Belongs at the operating system level. Nobody who isn't you or a system
administrator on your system should be able to look at any of your data.

Remember, this is open software. If the program had code in there to
check that you entered the correct password my version of the program
would simply take the same path for an incorrect password as the correct
one (altering just ONE instruction) and I could read your data. Many
commercial products will provide what the customer asks for EVEN IF
USELESS OR UNNECESSARY.

1) If you don't (already) have this minimal level of security at your
operating system level, if anybody could simply sit down at your
computer and log in and look at all of your data, WHY? (you have
probably chosen to disable the security since almost all moder OSs offer
it).

2) Not really enough. If you are paranoid you need to be able to prevent
somebody sitting down, switching BIOS to "boot from CD first" and then
insert a "live OS" CD bringing the computer up in a different OS in
which they have system administrator rights. If you are worried about
somebody being able to take away your computer and run whatever they
want then you need ENCRYPTED DATA.

Michael