Cannot get American Express to work

419er quatiers at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 01:07:03 EST 2010

Greetings,

I am a newbie to GnuCash and a newbie to this forum, although a fairly old
hack at online banking.  I have recently switched to GnuCash and have
successfully set up a bank and a credit union for online banking.  I have
now been working on getting AMEX to work for a few days, hoping I could
solve it myself, but I am finally stuck - I have no idea where to turn next.
I'll try to provide as much information as I can - I'd appreciate any
answers.

I'm using GnuCash 2.2.9 and have installed and successfully used aqbanking -
obviously - since I have a couple of other financial institutions working.

I have configured Amex according to all of the online resources (the wiki
and several other forum threads) and I have the following two issues.

First - when I am in the "User Configuration" window within the aqbanking
wizard, there is an option to check "Supports Account List Download" and
then click "Get Accounts" I am asked for my password - and it appears to
connect properly - and then finally says that it's finished, but never
offers me up an account number.

Second - since I couldn't get account numbers automatically through the
process listed above, I manually entered the account via the Accounts
configuration tab.  I told it to use the user I created for Amex, and I
entered my account number correctly.  When I go to that account and choose
to get transactions via online banking I am asked for my password, and after
entering it I get the following set of messages in the "Online Banking
Connection Window"

Resolving hostname
"www99.americanexpress.com"...
IP address is 12.29.100.25
Creating HTTPS connection
Connecting...
Sending request...

Then a message box appears that says: Error executing backend's queue.  What
shall we do?

My options are "Continue" and "Abort" - they both seem to have the same
results, except that abort leaves the connection window open.

These results are the same whether I try to get transactions or try to get
the balance.

I have not seen this particular issue discussed elsewhere which is why I'm
posting it here.

I'm really not sure what other information I should post, but I promise I
will post whatever you think I need to (except my AMEX number!) and come
back and provide any resolution instructions I get.

Thanks,

419er