Serious reconciling problem after deleting an reconciled transaction

yetanother ereeder at mailup.net
Thu Jan 7 16:05:20 EST 2010

I have a somewhat similar problem.  I reconciled my checking account ($0
difference) and then imported transactions to a credit card account.  One of
the credit card transactions was a payment from my checking account (This
checking account transaction had been reconciled).  Let's say it was for
$20.

The description (payee) field was slightly different between what I had
manually entered in the checking account and in the imported credit card
transaction.  I missed this (mistake #1) and the transaction was entered as
a new withdrawal from my checking account, instead of matching up with the
reconciled one.

Mistake #2 was when I noticed the duplicate payments in my checking account
and I deleted the reconciled transaction instead of the newly added one.

Now when I attempt to reconcile I am off by the amount of the credit card
payment ($20).  The "new" $20 transaction is there in my checking account
register, but I can't mark it as reconciled, nor can I replace it with the
reconciled transaction that I mistakenly deleted (at least I don't know
how).  If I mark it as not cleared, my balance is correct, but the books
really aren't.

Any suggestions?