Templates, formulas outside SX

Aylons Hazzud aylons at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 17:10:35 EST 2010

Hello! I'm a new user of Gnucash (started using it TBY), but I'm already
loving it. At first, I though that double-entry and all that it means was
just overkill for personal finance management, but now I see how powerful
the idea is.

But I still have issues using it. Most of them are about templates
formulas, which, according to the wiki, are indeed poorly documented and
scarcely implemented. So I come here to look find what can be done by now
and how can it be done:

Is it possible to create a template w/o a SX? I frequently make
international payments using my CC, but when I do it, there is a 2.38% tax
over the purchase ammount. I would like to create a template so, it would
be faster and easier to make every transaction using my International C/C
a split transaction with the original ammount and the corresponding tax.
Futhermore, if this template could contain a formula that automatically
calculate the tax value based on the spend value, it would be even better.

How can I create a template using variables? When I try to do it in the SX
template editor, it tells me "Scheduled Transactions with variables cannot
be automatically created". So, how do I create them? Manually editing some
text (XML?) files? Which are they?

Still inside templates and formulas, but now talking about SX: can I
create a template using the total balance of an account as a variable? I
always pay my credit card full balance, and I would want this value to be
scheduled, 10 days in advance.

Indeed, if none if this is possible, I would love to contribute as a C,
C++ developer to make it so. But that's a matter for another mailing list.