Templates, formulas outside SX

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 11:08:44 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Aylons Hazzud <aylons at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello! I'm a new user of Gnucash (started using it TBY), but I'm already
> loving it. At first, I though that double-entry and all that it means was
> just overkill for personal finance management, but now I see how powerful
> the idea is.
> can I create
> a template using the total balance of an account as a variable? I always pay
> my credit card full balance, and I would want this value to be scheduled, 10
> days in advance.

For this one situation, fortunately you don't need a scheduled
transaction; when you balance your credit card statement it will offer
to create a payment transaction, and the number it supplies as the
default is the outstanding balance (as you entered when you started
reconciling the statement). After you make your first payment, GnuCash
will suggest the same account on the next reconcile.

HOWEVER, I still create a scheduled transaction for my credit cards as
a reminder to look for the statement, with some made-up payment
transaction scheduled for the statement due date, just in case.
Because the payment transaction gets created when I reconcile against
the statement I always choose to "Ignore" the scheduled transaction.

It would be nice to have a "reminder" type SX that doesn't create a
financial transaction, but could help remind you to reconcile an
account or call your retirement account manager or whatever...