Bill vs Invoice ?

Michael DeBusk michael at nlphilia.com
Wed Jan 13 20:12:55 EST 2010

On Wed, January 13, 2010 12:04, Geert Janssens wrote:

> As a non-native English speaker, I am wondering about the difference
> between the terms "Bill" and "Invoice".

An invoice is an itemised list of services or goods provided for notice of
an agreement, i.e., "Here, we have done what we said we'd do, and now it's
time for you to do what you said you'd do."

A bill is a demand for payment. It's usually itemized, and it's good
practice to itemize one, but it doesn't have to be. (Sometimes a business
will charge extra if you want an itemized bill.)

In practice, there isn't much real difference. It's not unheard-of,
though, for an invoice to be sent with free stuff, whereas you'll never
get a bill with something free.

--
()  ascii ribbon campaign     * against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org       * against proprietary attachments