Windows downgrade to 2.2.9 failure to start

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Jan 14 14:32:07 EST 2010

On Thursday 14 January 2010, Fred Bone wrote:
> On 13 January 2010 at 19:49, Derek Atkins said:
> > Jason Dunham <jwdunham at gmail.com> writes:
> > > After the uninstalls, there are no Gnucash folders in the C:\Program
> > > Files or the C:\Program Files (x86) folders.
> >
> > But there is probably still gnucash/gnome/gconf data in $HOME
> >
> > > I searched the registry, but there are no gnucash keys in there.  This
> > > makes sense, because linux doesn't have a registry, so it wouldn't make
> > > sense to use it when porting the software over.
> >
> > Bzzt.  There ARE registry keys used on Windows.
>
> Are you quite sure about that?
>
> If I search my registry for the string "gnucash", I get:
> 1. A HKCR entry for ".gnucash" pointing to "GnuCash Financial Data", and
> a matching one for "GnuCash Financial Data". These are filetype
> associations so Windows knows what to do if I double-click on a file
> whose name ends in ".gnucash".
>
> 2. A HKCU entry under the "most recently used files" list, referring to a
> file in my TEMP directory that isn't there any more (no idea what it was,
> the name doesn't mean much)
>
> 3. A HKCU entry under Explorer's "FileExts" key, for ".gnucash", and
> another for ".gnucash-xea", probably because I did an "open with" on the
> file mentioned above (and Explorer wants to remember this).
>
> 4. A HKCU entry under Explorer's "Start Menu" key, which is where it
> remembers what order the entries on the Start menu are to show up in.
>
> ... and the HKLM and HKU entries corresponding to the above. With the
> possible exception of (1), these are all things that Windows would have
> put there in response to things I did, and not data stored by Gnucash
> itself; and none of these would be any use to Gnucash, so I can't believe
> they would affect its behaviour.
>
> Of course, there are features I don't use, but IMHO it would be insane
> for Gnucash to put stuff in the Windows registry when it has a perfectly
> good alternative place (gconf) to put it instead.

Yes, the Windows installer for Gnucash does install a set of registry keys, at
least for the 2.3.x series.

I don't have a Windows machine available, so this information comes from the
source code.

1. As you found it installs .gnucash subkey and Gnucash.Financial.Data subkey
in HKCR and the key Software\GnuCash\Paths in HKLM
2. It installs key Software\Aqbanking\Paths in HKLM
3. It installs key Software\Gwenhywfar\Paths in HKLM

1. is for GnuCash itself, 2. and 3. are setup for online-banking support.

Whether or not it's sane to use the registry is not something I can judge. I
didn't write the Windows port. But I would assume these keys are required for
proper functioning in a Windows environment.

Geert