cannot open my (relatively) old gnucash file.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 25 11:03:17 EST 2010

Hi,

Emanuele Paolini <emanuele.paolini at unifi.it> writes:

> I'm a little bit disappointed that I can no more read my gcash data file.
> I'm using version 2.2.9 on Ubuntu. When I try to load my file I get the error:
> "Si è verificato un errore processando il file "[...]/spese.gcash" (an
> error occurred while processing the file...)

What changed between the last time you were able to open the file and now?

>> cat /tmp/gnucash.trace
> * 09:32:12  WARN <GLib> g_set_prgname() called multiple times
> * 09:32:26  WARN <gnc.backend.file.sx> no template account with name
> [0684bc1645e591f134333513eac13c13]
> * 09:32:26  WARN <gnc.backend.file.sx> no template account with name
> [4f0a146f7a22135f0885fdfbbd55820a]
> * 09:32:26  WARN <gnc.backend.file.sx> no template account with name
> [c6edf559db51ee940076e5eb48f3ca1c]
>
>> zgrep version spese.gcash  | head
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
> <gnc:book version="2.0.0">
> <gnc:commodity version="2.0.0">
> <gnc:commodity version="2.0.0">
> <gnc:account version="2.0.0">
> <gnc:account version="2.0.0">
> <gnc:account version="2.0.0">
> <gnc:account version="2.0.0">
> <gnc:account version="2.0.0">
> <gnc:account version="2.0.0">
>
> I'm stuck. Thank you for any suggestion.

Unfortunately you cannot find out what version of GnuCash wrote a data
file by the method you used..  The "2.0.0" has been used since, oh,
GnuCash 1.8.  Indeed, GnuCash does not actually store the version number
anywhere, which is arguably a bug.

The good news is that it looks like your data file still exists.  And it
looks like it still has data.  As for what's IN the data, well, that's
hard to see.

The error you have looks like some broken Scheduled Transactions.

So I'll reask the same question as I asked above -- what changed from
the last time you were able to run GnuCash to now?