Accounting Question

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 27 19:46:08 EST 2010

I am trying to figure out how to track something in Gnucash, and I ask for some advice.

I received a $1000 loan from a group (NiceGuys) to help pay an expense to a provider (ServiceGuys). NiceGuys paid ServiceGuys directly, without me seeing the money at all. I am trying to grok the transactions in Gnucash. Right now, I have $1000 transferred from Liabilities:NiceGuys to Equity:Other, just so the loan can appear somewhere. But the $1000 paid for one of my expenses, so should I instead change the transaction from Equity:Other to Expenses:ServiceGuys. When I do that, it looks right in that account, but I wanted to see whether I was missing something...

TIA,
David