Year's end, file size an issue?

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 28 15:05:15 EST 2010

Mike--

That is how I have solved the situation in the past. The main problem with this (which I implied but did not outright state in my original reply) is that there is no easy way to tell Gnucash to omit January first in reports. You have to manually change the date each time. This is not odious, but it is annoying. There is no "Previous Year Starting on January 2nd" option for the date range. And yes, you can always save the report with a January 2nd start date, but each year, you'd have to edit the date anyway.

Additionally, the zeroing transactions completely throw off any longer-term reports, which effectively eliminates the reason why you'd keep multiple years' data in the first place--that is, to get longterm trends on different accounts.

So, yours is certainly a viable solution, but I still don't like it, which is why I stopped closing my books.

David