<Accessing|using> .log and .xac files?

felix.karpfen at gmail.com felix.karpfen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 16:31:00 EDT 2010

On Jul 1, 2010 7:06pm, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:
> On Thursday 1 July 2010, Felix Karpfen wrote:

> > A hypothetical!

> > When installing gnucash, I opted to retain the automatically-created
> > .log and .xac files for 5 days.

> > To date, I have never needed to use them. Is there any documentation
> > that shows when and how these files can be used?

> I'm not sure there is much information on this, but here's a short intro:

> * The .xac backup files are regular gnucash files. You can open them just
> like
> your main data file. GnuCash creates these at regular time intervals
> (configurable via Preferences), *simply by executing the equivalent of
> a "Save
> As..." command*

SNIP

> the .log files record (in real time) any transaction
> addition/modification/removal since the last time your data file was
> saved. It
> is meant as a last resort recovery method in case GnuCash quit
> unexpectedly,
> although in my opinion it's a bit limited in scope for that. If you
> happen to
> have a crash, *you can open your last saved file and then "replay" the
> most
> recent log file via File->Import->Replay GnuCash .log file.*

The above information has been filed carefully so that I can access the
back files when needed!

The information ought to be in the Manual! It explains desirable safety
features, which have been included in GnuCash, but were a closed book to me
- and, I suspect, to many other users.

Thank you for the prompt and full reply.

Felix Karpfen.