HELP REQUESTED

Anthony Dardis adardis at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 11:06:58 EDT 2010

There are lots of docs and tutorials; some come with the program, others
are available through gnucash.org

Simple start on checking account:

Create a new data file:

File > New > New File

a "druid" (wizard) will open. When you get to the "set up accounts"
dialog, uncheck all, then check "A Simple Checkbook". You can put in an
opening balance for your checking account in this dialog.

Save this data file, giving it a name.

Click on Assets > Current Assets > Checking account; then edit, then fill
in the particulars of your checking account (this step isn't needed, but
you'll do it eventually.

Then click on the Checking account. You'll get a transaction register,
much like Quicken (or, I assume, Quickbooks).

When you enter a transaction, in the Transfer column, you want to record
what you were spending money on; so type something like

Expenses:Phone Bill

then hit <tab>; Gnucash will ask you if you want to create the expense
account.

Then put in the amount under Withdrawal.

That's about it. Poke around, play with it, it should be pretty obvious.