Tracking Stocks on the ASX

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jul 6 17:24:20 EDT 2010

Hi,

"Alex Hill" <alex_hill at arach.net.au> writes:

> I have just purchased some stocks on the Australian Stock Exchange
> (ASX) but notice that there is not an option to track these stocks
> using the ASX. What is the best way to go about this? I do not need to
> constantly update my books, so would putting the cash value of the
> stocks into an asset account (ie 1000 shares at $1 = $1000) and then
> when I sell the stocks introduce the capital gains income account
> (there are no dividends)?

I don't understand your question?  Can you not use the "australia" quote
source?  Or maybe Yahoo-australia?  Or are you complaining about the
fact that the default namespace list only includes "Fund", "Nyse", etc?
If the latter --- it's just a freeform string and you're welcome to type
in ASX when you create your commodity.