How should I handle a stock acquired by spinoff?

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Wed Jul 7 09:30:11 EDT 2010

I'm not familiar with the companies involved, but try this:

If you have 94 (say) shares of Verizon, and they split off FTR, you still have
94 shares of Verizon, but now have 94 new shares.  I assume the value of the
Verizon shares will decrease by the same amount as the new FTR cost basis.  Just
add a "sale" of 0 shares but with $94 (using $1/share for FTR) from Verizon and
use that value to "purchase" the FTR shares.  You would probably need to add
from the FTR account.

 Phil
---------
I used to be a hypochondriac AND a kleptomaniac. So I took something for it.