Mass delete of zero split lines?

David G. Hamblen dhamblen at roadrunner.com
Fri Jul 9 08:59:29 EDT 2010

On 07/09/2010 08:34 AM, Colin Law wrote:

>> NOTE: I've been using gnuCash 2.2.9 since April, 2009... and I don't
>> use gnuCash's Scheduled Transactions feature.
>>
>> When I create a new txn (for example: CableTV), I position the cursor
>> on the date field of the existing previous month's CableTV txn, press
>> Alt+N (MenuBar Transaction), C (copy); then I move the cursor down to
>> the last/new/empty line, and I press Alt+N, P (paste).
>>
>> Then I just edit the new CableTV txn's date, amount, notes, splits, etc.
>>
>> When editing splits, to completely remove zero amount split lines,
>> make sure you delete that split line's Note, Account, and amount
>> fields. Then, once you move the cursor off that "empty" split line,
>> that split line will get automatically deleted.
>>
>> Then, just save the new txn.
>>
>> NOTE: I would recommend gnuCash continues to allow zero amount split lines.
>>
> Can you explain why please?

I have a couple of recurring transactions where I like the zero split to
remain.  One example is a paycheck which has splits for several
withholdings, not all of which happen on every paycheck.  One one
paycheck there might not be any withholding for federal taxes, but the
next paycheck does.  I like having a "standard" set of splits so that I
can see the zero amounts, and also not have to re-enter the split the
next time when it's non-zero.