Mass delete of zero split lines?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Jul 9 18:07:38 EDT 2010

On Fri, July 9, 2010 5:33 pm, JimR wrote:
> On 07/09/2010 11:57 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 9 July 2010 15:39, Derek Atkins<warlord at mit.edu>  wrote:

[snip]
>>> Yes.  On my paycheck I sometimes have zero split lines because,
>>> e.g. some paychecks I get a reimbursement and some I don't.  I like
>>> always having the split there so I can just go down the paystub and
>>> enter all the correct numbers.
[snip]
> Of course, if anybody is counting these votes, mine is against keeping
> the nil line splits.

Luckily we're not..

> Those who want to retain them for purposes such as above could put in a
> 0.01 value (or whatever is the smallest denomination of your currency).

.. and this would throw off all your balances.  I *DON'T* have 0.01 going
into my paycheck for reimbursement.  It's 0.00 this week.  But next week
it will be 52.23.  And LAST week it was 623.12.  But THIS week it's 0.00.

If I put in 0.01, it would throw off my Assets:Reimbursible Expenses
Account, and also I'd have to balance that 0.01 from somewhere else, so
I'd have to add yet ANOTHER split.

I certainly don't object to a "Clean out zero-amount splits" function from
the context menu that you could use to quickly remove them from a
transaction, but no, it certainly should NOT remove a zero-amount split
automatically.