Help on opening accounts

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Mon Jul 12 14:44:27 EDT 2010

> Actually, I am confused that the files don't show at all when I click
> File, open..... shouldn't there be a way for the program to know that
> it has been created?
>
> I am using Windows Vista 64-bit (yes, I know, but it does work for my
> tax program which was a primary concern).
>
> The name of the file is PHSgnu, that seemed like it would be an OK
> name.  I also am trying to work with one named 10NMain.
>

> Thanks,
> Linda

No (misconception).

It wouldn't make much sense for an application to keep track of files it
has created. At some later time the file might not have the same name
and might not reside in the same directory.You expect it to somehow be
notified whenever a file is renamed or moved? You expect it to do that
but somehow know not to keep track of copies made for backup purposes?

Let's see if I can help you. Been so long I had to look/see

1) I am going to assume that you know the NAME of the file (it's path,
the directory in which it resides). You are going to add this directory
to the menu

2) In GnuCash do file, open, open to bring up the Open window. You see
the existing menu and some buttons. The add and remove buttons grayed
out (nothing selected) but across the top browse buttons.

3) Use the one on the left to drill down to the desired directory. With
that directory selected you will see that the "add" button no longer
inactive. Click it to add that directory to the menu list.

4) NOW (and in the future) when you do file, open, open you can select
THAT directory from the list of places . On the right will be the
contents of that directory (and so the file for the books you want to
open).

I believe THIS is what you expected GnuCash to do for you automatically?

I have a separate directory for each organization for which I keep
books. In that directory besides the file that is the books and the log
files I put a directory Minot which I export reports, etc..

Michael