Income Statements - 2 questions

felix.karpfen at gmail.com felix.karpfen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 19:41:25 EDT 2010

I closed my books at the end of the past financial year and started with
zero entries under Income and Expenses on 1 July 2010. Out of curiosity, I
did a trial run of the "Income Statement" report (which worked perfectly
before closing the books).

While the listed entries displayed under "Accounts" are all correct, the
results of running an "Income Statement" (details below) are odd..

First Run (Incomes selected - all entries are incorrect)
=======

Income Statement For Period Covering 01/07/2010 to 13/07/2010

Revenues
Income AUD 0.00
Gifts Received -AUD 20.00
Interest Income -AUD 363.95
Other Income -AUD 365.15
Salary -AUD 8,570.35
Total Revenue -AUD 9,319.45

Expenses
Total Expenses AUD 0.00
Net loss for Period AUD 9,319.45

Second Run (selected expenses - all entries are correct)
=========
Income Statement For Period Covering 01/07/2010 to 13/07/2010

Revenues
Total Revenue AUD 0.00

Expenses
Dog -AUD 125.80
Garden -AUD 25.90
Total Expenses -AUD 151.70
Net income for Period AUD 151.70

An inspection of the (full) data displayed by the Income Statements
indicates that it is also using income data that related to the previous
financial year (and which became negative entries when "Close Books" was
invoked at the end of June?).

Which raises 2 questions.

1. How do I persuade the Income Statement to start with a clean slate on 1
July; and

2. Is it possible to use the Reports -> Options routine to select several
non-consecutive entries (eg some income entries + some expenditure entries)?

All advice (or pointers to documentation) will be gratefully received.

Felix Karpfen