Transaction Report

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 14 11:40:02 EDT 2010

Colin,

"Colin Scott" <gnucash at double-bars.net> writes:

> If I enter a simple transaction like this:
>
> <date> <ref no> "Cheques Received"
>    <income account> "multiple payers"     <credit> £157.60
>    <bank account>                         <debit>  £157.60
>
> then on a Transaction Report for the bank account the details appear
> pretty much as above.  Specifically, under "other account", the report
> prints the income account name.
>
> However, I often, for clarity of the accounts, enter transactions with
> multiple splits referring to the same account.  For example, the above
> transaction might well be entered like this:
>
> <date> <ref no> "Cheques Received"
>    <bank account>                         <debit>  £157.60
>
> When _this_ transaction is printed on the bank account's Transaction
> Report, then under "other account" it simply prints "split" instead of
> the accout name.  Now, in single-line format that is fairly reasonable -
> after all, what else could one do?  However, in mult-line format then it
> ought really to print the other account names, even when that  account
> name appears more than once, as here.  As it stands, the transaction
> report is actually pretty useless for what I need it for (which is as a
> printed record of the year's transacions for use by the auditors), as
> once printed it does not give the reader sufficient information to follow
> every movement through the system.

You can do what you want in the transaction report.  You need to set
General -> Style = Multi-Line and then you need to turn on Display ->
Account Name.  Do NOT turn on Display -> Other Account Name.

You can choose whether or not to turn off Display -> Use Full Account
Name?  The Use Full Other Account Name? has no effect in this
configuration.