Debit a 'Checking Account' Only

John P. New jnew at hazelden.ca
Tue Jul 20 10:50:58 EDT 2010

On Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:19:41 am b4wt wrote:
> Thanks for the replies people
>
> - Didnt have 'Checking Account' Earlier so edited 'Imbalance' and made the
> necessary amendments
>
> Supposing if i already had such an account, what would be the alternative
> course of action to move them

Paraphrasing James Kerr's reply from yesterday, in 2.2.9, if you want to move
*all* of the transactions in the Imbalance (or any) account to another
account,

1) Make a backup of your data file
2) In the Accounts tab, highlight the account that holds the transactions you
want to move (in this case, the Imbalance account),
3) From the menu, choose Edit>Delete Account (to delete the account that holds
the transactions to be moved, in this case the Imbalance account),
4) In the Delete Account dialog, choose the Move To option and select the
account that will receive the transactions (in this case, Checking account),
5) Press Delete, and Delete again when asked.

This will move the transactions (in the Imbalance account) into the existing
account (Checking) and delete the old one (Imbalance account). In the case of
the automatically created Imbalance account, GNUCash will re-create it the
next time an imbalanced transaction occurs.

To the List: If I were to add this procedure to the wiki, any suggestions
where best to put it?

Hope that helps,

John New