PTO in GnuCash?

FireFly fireflys_98 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 28 13:17:36 EDT 2010

Matthew,

Thanks for the sample, seemed to be two issues with my trying it, can't add it to already done transactions probably because of the stock transaction, I'm also not wild about not having a "double entry" to match this transaction, seems like it's a bit of a fudge (unfortunately it's all a fudge as described below for what I'm doing).

Ideally I'd want to have income and expense accounts in PTO hours, but income/expense accounts can only be in currency.

For now I've just setup income/expense accounts with the right name, but as currency and then I just have fake "buy" and "sell" transactions for PTO days with the exchange rate of 1ZWD = 1 hour (PTO) this way I can at least check I get all my PTO hours by the end of the year, and have the accounting for those hours (hours into my asset account, and hours out). I put it in ZWD because the chances of me ever actually having ZWD to deal with is fairly remote.

Personally if I was terminated and lose these hours, or got paid for those hours I'd just have a transaction at that point that either sold the hours as an expense (PTO:Termination maybe?) or sold the hours into one of my other asset accounts if I was paid out for the hours.

Thanks again for the sample.

- James Duerr

E-mail: FireFlys_98 at yahoo.com
Discover a lost art - play Marbles. May 2004
www.marillion.com