Can't open 2.2.9 files in 2.3.11 (fedora)

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue Jun 1 10:45:09 EDT 2010

On Tuesday 1 June 2010, Colin Law wrote:
> On 1 June 2010 15:29, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:
> > On Sunday 30 May 2010, Hector Akamine wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> After an upgrade from Fedora 12 to 13, I was unable to open my gnucash
> >> file (created in fedora 12, version 2.2.9) (fedora 13 comes with version
> >> 2.3.11). No error messages, the gnucash main screen blank. Are 2.2.x and
> >> 2.3.x not compatible?

> > So now GnuCash doesn't remember which tabs/windows you had open.
> > This change uncovered another bug which results in your "empty" screen.
> > This bug has been fixed after the release of 2.3.11, so unfortunately F13
> > missed it.
> >
> > To continue to work, simply go to View -> New Accounts Page, which will
> > open your accounts overview again and you should be good to go. This
> > inconvenience will only happen once.
>
> Also note, in case you did not realise, that 2.3.x versions are
> development versions not recommended for 'production' use.
>
> Colin L

Correct, but F13 ships gnucash 2.3.x by default. The maintainer (Bill
Nottingham) had hoped gnucash 2.4 would have been released before F13 shipped,
but that didn't happen. He asked on the devel list what to do for F13. The
advice given was to ship with 2.3.x anyway as we are nearing the end of the
development cycle, and to ship an update as soon as gnucash 2.4 is officially
released. So that's what he did.

Geert