Can't parse URL on cifs/smb share - gnc 2.3.12

Adam Rosi-Kessel adam at rosi-kessel.org
Tue Jun 1 15:20:45 EDT 2010

On 6/1/2010 12:40 PM, Geert Janssens wrote:
>> My gnucash file is kept on a network samba share, mounted locally in
>> Ubuntu 10 via cifs.
>>
>> The file works fine stored locally; but when loaded from the share
>> (whether symlinked into home directory or just opened under the location
>> under /mnt) I get the error "can't parse URL on file://(path)."
>>
>> Why would a file on an smb/cifs share not open in gnucash?
>>
> I have not idea. It shouldn't fail. What version of GnuCash are you using ?

2.3.12.
> Is there anything in /tmp/gnucash.trace ?

Nope.

On 6/1/2010 12:58 PM, John Ralls wrote:
> Presumably you can open the file with zcat. Does the path that you
> elided from the URI look sane? Are there any spaces or other special
> characters? Did this work with a previous version of Gnucash?
Yes, the file opens fine with zcat, and when copied to a local drive
opens fine. The URI path looks fine too. I will have to try it with an
older version.

I just recently found some old postings to gnucash lists about problems
opening files on Samba shares. This must be the same issue. In the older
postings, I think people were trying to use URIs like smb://; I'm not
trying to do that here, I just have the smb share mounted as a normal
directory on the linux filesystem.

I think it must be this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnucash/+bug/231612

Adam