Can't parse URL on cifs/smb share - gnc 2.3.12

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Jun 2 01:44:48 EDT 2010

On Jun 1, 2010, at 12:20 PM, Adam Rosi-Kessel wrote:

> On 6/1/2010 12:40 PM, Geert Janssens wrote:
>>> My gnucash file is kept on a network samba share, mounted locally in
>>> Ubuntu 10 via cifs.
>>>
>>> The file works fine stored locally; but when loaded from the share
>>> (whether symlinked into home directory or just opened under the location
>>> under /mnt) I get the error "can't parse URL on file://(path)."
>>>
>>> Why would a file on an smb/cifs share not open in gnucash?
>>>
>> I have not idea. It shouldn't fail. What version of GnuCash are you using ?
>>

> 2.3.12.
>> Is there anything in /tmp/gnucash.trace ?
>>
> Nope.
>
> On 6/1/2010 12:58 PM, John Ralls wrote:
>> Presumably you can open the file with zcat. Does the path that you elided from the URI look sane? Are there any spaces or other special characters? Did this work with a previous version of Gnucash?
> Yes, the file opens fine with zcat, and when copied to a local drive opens fine. The URI path looks fine too. I will have to try it with an older version.
>
> I just recently found some old postings to gnucash lists about problems opening files on Samba shares. This must be the same issue. In the older postings, I think people were trying to use URIs like smb://; I'm not trying to do that here, I just have the smb share mounted as a normal directory on the linux filesystem.
>
> I think it must be this:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnucash/+bug/231612

Except that the URL there is goofy: /home/ceefour/.gnucash/data/sftp:,,blabla,blabla.gnucash In fact, I addressed that problem as part of commit 18765, which is in 2.3.12.

But there's no way to know for sure unless you post the actual URL that the error is complaining about. Being coy doesn't help solve
your problem.

Regards,
John Ralls