Mac upgrade, "There was an error parsing the file ..."

David Dannemiller DPDannemiller at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 13 22:48:58 EDT 2010

On Jun 12, 2010, at 6:27 PM, davelist at mac.com wrote:

> If you have a spare PC that's a few years old or have VMWare or Parallels for your Mac, one thing you could try is installing an older version of some Linux distribution that came with gnucash 2.0.x (looks like ubuntu 6.10 did) and use it to read and save the file and then copy the file to your Mac.
>
> Dave

I downloaded Ubuntu 6.10 Desktop, and installed it under Fusion.  GNUCash is not part of the default installation.  I tried to install it using both "Add/Remove..." and "Synaptic Package Manager" but was unsuccessful - messages like "Could not download all repository indexes."  Canonical no longer supports 6.10, so maybe they removed the repositories.

But Ubuntu 6.06 is still under long term support.  Alas, it has GNUCash 1.8.12.  Ubuntu 8.04 is also still supported, but has GNUCash 2.2.4.

So none of the currently supported version of Ubuntu have GNUCash 2.0.x.

Still, Dave had a good idea.  Anyone have suggestions for other distributions/versions that might have 2.0.x?

In the mean time, I've started building GNUCash 2.0.5 from source under Ubuntu 10.04.  Currently struggling to understand why configure can't find SLIB.  This is not my strength.

As you can tell, I'm trying to avoid deleting all scheduled tasks.  I have a lot of them.  Thanks for all the suggestions, and keep 'em coming.

David Dannemiller