import from arbitrary software

Marcus Wolschon Marcus at Wolschon.biz
Sun Jun 20 04:07:44 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Huang, Tao <debian at huangtao.me> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> i've got transaction data from a proprietary software. i've managed to
> convert it into plain text csv files. how can i import them into
> gnucash?
>
> do i need to write a gnucash exported xml file myself?

That depends on the format of the CSV-file.
There is one CSV-import based on the Gnucash codebase
flying around here but I don´t have a pointer to the headers
and field-format it requires at hand.

If you find that you need to write an import you may have  alook at
jGnucashLib. It does imports very well.
(You could write an imort-tool using jGnucashLib or an import-plugin for
the jGnucash-Editor.)
I´d really like an importer for transactions where you can configure
the headings, how many header-lines to skip, what each header translates
to and the StringFormat to parse the fields of each header in a user-friendly
manner.

There IS already a CSV-import -plugin but it is ment for CSV-files of
transactions
exported from a bank or credit-card -company using the scriptable framework used
by the HBCI/FinTS-importer -plugin. (identify transactions that are
already present,
ask the user to write scripts to idenitfy reoccuring transactions like
and take them
apart,... (like deducting sales-tax from all gasoline-purchases,
parsing the comment-field
of insurrance-deductions to split them into the individual insurances,...)

Marcus

Marcus