Balance sheet after using "Close book"?

David G. Hamblen dhamblen at roadrunner.com
Wed Jun 23 09:42:07 EDT 2010

On 06/23/2010 08:56 AM, Soren Hansen wrote:

> Ok. I see how that makes sense. My accountant (a well-respected,
> reasonably big accounting company here in Denmark) just suggested that
> it was was normal procedure to have this single summary page with the
> totals of all the accounts. Perhaps I misunderstood.

This sounds like the report which I use in Peachtree Accounting (and not
available in Gnucash) is called "General Ledger Account Summary".  It
has 6 columns, the first two are the account number and name.  The rows
are sorted by account number.  The next 4 columns are Start Balance,
Debit change, Credit change, Net Change, and Ending Balance.  The report
options are Start Date and End Date.   This particular report lets me
see at a glance which accounts have activity during the period, and by
double-clicking on the Net Change or End Balance, I can see all the
transactions in that account.   Perhaps once I switch to GC-2.4, I'll be
able to generate such a report :-).   The Gnucash Transaction report is
the closest to this (if there were an option to show totals only, rather
than all the individual transactions).