How to make a "custom" expense report [was Re: Report customization nightmare]

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Tue Jun 29 22:16:09 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 09:44:16PM -0400, Mike Leone wrote:
> On 6/29/2010 9:17 PM, Andrew Sackville-West had this to say:
[...]
> >a report with just expenses is easy to obtain. You merely have to set
> >the options to adjust the default setup of one of the existing reports
> >to get exactly what you want.
>
> Tried it; can't get it the way I want. Granted, I didn't spend a
> whole lot of time on it.
>
> Perhaps you can tell me how not to show a piechart or bar chart,
> when customizing those specific expense reports? It would be a help.

ah... some understanding. So the expense charts are just that,
charts. You cannot (to my knowledge) turn of the "chart" portion
because that's all they are.

> >Here are instructions to get a selection of expenses only in a text
> >based report for a specific time period:
> >
> >1. Click Reports ->  Income&  Expense ->  Income Statement
> >
> >wait for report to run. notice that it isn't quite what you want...
>
> <snip>
>
> >10. Click Apply or OK and review the results.
>
> It says "Total revenue: $0" as the first line, and "Net Loss for the
> period" as the last line. And how do I not remove these unnecessary
> lines, which I don't want in my report, since it has no bearing on
> what I am looking for from this report? (I only want a table of
> expenses, with totals. Not Income. Not Net Profit or Loss.)

well, with all due respect to you... picky aren't we? ;-P

> That's what I'm talking about - I can sort of get what I want, if I
> ignore the parts I don't want (such as the "Total revenue" and "Net
> Loss" lines); I only want to know the totals of just the expenses I
> want. I'm not looking for a real P&L statement; just a table of
> specific expenses. (Ideally, with totals per month, but that's for
> another day)

That particular change is pretty straightforward. I'll see if I can
get to it in the next couple of days. I can't promise as I'm in the
middle of packing up to move my whole family out of state with the
deadline rapidly descending...