"Close Books" revisited - was Re: Account Balances Louse-up? .

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Jun 30 08:28:24 EDT 2010

 I don't use the automated "close the books" instead choosing to do it
manually so I don't see to what you are referring BUT it makes perfect
sense to me.

Closing the books means creating transaction(s) that close each income
or expense account (temporary accounts of fundamental type equity) into
the permanent account equity. In other words, when doing this manually I
am creating two split transactions. On both the unsplit side is the
total of all the income (or expense) accounts going to equity and on the
other the split amounts being the balances of each income (or expense)
account.

About the only thing that looks the least strange to me I might feel
better seeing Equity : Expense Total (based on which side debit and
which credit) but I imagine THAT would be confusing to other end users
who like yourself "knowledge of accounting practice is close to zero"

However I'd like to make a generally useful suggestion for whenever you
come up with a "I don't know what it will do" situation. Not only with
GnuCash but pretty much any software.
1) Make a copy of your data. In this case that would be the file which
are your books. To be really safe, can even move this off into a test
directory or even a test "region" (a separate log in with its own data
area, etc.)
2) Open THAT (the test copy) with GnuCash, try this thing you are
uncertain about, see what happens. Worst case scenario you destroyed
this test copy. Big deal.
3) You can repeat this while studying this new thing to do. Delete the
test copy and make another fresh one, try again.
4) When satisfied all is working well, go back and do it for real (open
your real data)

Michael D Novack, FLMI

PS --- Will say it again. GnuCash is an accounting TOOL. GnuCash makes
doing your bookkeeping/accounting easy. But as with any tool, even
complete knowledge in the use of the tool (how to handle it) does NOT
mean you know how to make good use of the tool, what sorts of things you
can do with it. You still must acquire some basic bookkeeping/accounting
knowledge. It may look otherwise with some of the commercial
alternatives available but you are ignoring the way that is achieved
with specialized versions for each purpose (thus things like "QuickBooks
Pro for the Contractor" version vs "Quickbooks Pro for the Hourly
Biller" vs "QuickBooks Pro for the Non-Profit" vs .....).

PSS --- BTW, the decision to "close the books" or not is one you make
independent of "end of year". GnuCash can create the end of year reports
(and recreate then later) independently of whether or not you closed the
books. The only benefit of closing the books is when wanting to be able
to (easily) see the balances of each income or expense account for the
current period, not having to apply a date to that view. It is a
TRADITIONAL thing to do dating back to the days of bookkeeping in bound
books pen and ink on paper when you would want to open a new book for
the new period else after a couple years you would be able to lift the
darned thing.

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.