Report customization nightmare

Hubert Bahr hab at hbahr.org
Wed Jun 30 20:34:55 EDT 2010

With 2.2.9 I tried to create true custom reports.  Unfortunately I could
not find an adequate description of the interface to get to all the data
I needed.  With 2.3.12 I found that I could get closer to a working
report, but it still required importing it into a spread sheet and cut
and paste from several reports to make it useful.  With 2.3.14 and a
MySql backend I can use the Sun Report generator extension to Open
Office to create reports that do not required further manipulation.  One
of the problems I ran into with the current reports, is that they are
not consistent in what options are offered for customization.  I have
seen some that do not offer a date range.  Although I think one of the
main problems is the lack of documentation on how to use the features
you do offer.  I just finally stumbled onto settings, that evaded me in
previous searches, that satisfies one page of my monthly reports.  The
reports are getting better, but the purpose of accounting is to keep
track of data that you will need for reports.  The ease in generating
the needed reports will make or break user acceptance.  Many new users
don't even know what reports they will need.  Other users are satisfied
with whatever they can get, but anybody who has to provide reports to
others, will soon find out that GnuCash has some short-commings in this
area.

Hubert