Account layout for a personal business

John Layman john.layman at laymanandlayman.com
Mon May 3 09:09:29 EDT 2010

My wife and I have a home-base business (general partnership) together, and
I have found it simpler to maintain separate files for business and personal
accounts.  The problem with combining them is that investments throw the
trial balance out of whack.  Our finances aren't completely clean, in that
business expenses are sometimes made from personal pocket cash, part of our
phone bill is business expense, etc.  I treat these cross transactions
through equity accounts as draws or capital contribution and GNUCash
transitions quickly enough from one file to the other that switching back
and forth has not proven to be inconvenient.  Our business trial balance is
always balanced, but our personal accounts are not.