Date error in WinXP vs. Ubuntu

Andrew S akinstur at yahoo.com
Sun May 9 13:08:36 EDT 2010

True: Ubuntu sets the hardware clock to UTC, then translates to local time in the OS, whereas XP sets the hardware clock to local time. But I haven't enountered this problem when moving other files (e.g.,
OpenOffice Calc files with dates) back and forth between
Windows and Ubuntu.

There is an XP registry hack to make it use UTC, but it is said to be a bit flaky. Is there a way to configure the Windows install of GnuCash to read and write timestamps in UTC rather than local time?

Also, setting aside the UTC vs. local time issue, what does this mean if I move from one time zone to another? If the move is big enough, will that affect the way dates are displayed for old entries?