QIF import -- best practices?

Anthony Dardis adardis at gmail.com
Sun May 16 14:57:50 EDT 2010

Hi, all,

I'm new to GnuCash, just started using it a couple of weeks ago.
Everything looks/works/feels great, more or less.

I've done two imports using the QIF (Quicken) format, and wondered if
there was a better way to operate.

1. I imported all my data from Quicken 2009 for Windows. Rather than
trying to tell the import process where exactly I wanted the transactions,
I just let it import them. So I ended up -- for example -- with a whole
lot of top-level accounts, one for every kind of expense I ever had in
Quicken, etc. Then I edited the accounts to move them to their right
places in a standard accounts tree, so I have things like
Expenses:Household:Propane.

This seemed to me to have a few advantages. You probably already have
mini-trees in Quicken, so you can just edit the top of each mini-tree and
the whole thing goes where it belongs. I know GnuCash remembers what you
put in to the import conversion dialogue, but I haven't seen a generic
editor for that table. So if I tried to do it all during the import, I'd
be sitting there for hours typing in new account names (for example, to
move Propane to Expenses:Household:Propane). Also, I did need to do some
thinking about what the accounts tree should look like as I moved my old
accounts around, and that works much better once everything is actually in
the program. And, of course, there were various uglinesses in the Quicken
categories I had let grow in the shadows over the years.

(I've used Quicken for more than 10 years, and as a result there were a
couple of serious cleaning up operations to do. The Quicken data file I
exported was the result of closing the Quicken year at the beginning of
2008. I had a big loan I paid off some time several years earlier than
that, but the export brought over a bunch of transactions for it (I guess
because it was an account I never reconciled). Something similar happened
with my employer's contributions to my retirement, there were tons of
transactions there from before the 2008 beginning of year. In both cases I
just deleted all the offending transactions, and I think that brought
everything into balance.)

2. My bank allows exporting transactions in QIF. I imported a bunch of new
transactions this way. I told the importer what account they should go to
(it correctly figured out that they all went to one, and asked what its
name was). The import asks for the other side account for the
transactions. Since the bank's export only provides a memo field, there
were 30-40 transactions that each separately needed an account; and the
process of specifying an account in this dialogue requires a lot of
clicking and choosing. So instead I just let the import put them all in
Unspecified, and then once they were there, it was much easier to fill in
the needed account.

Cheers,

Tony