Authentication in GNUCash

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Sun May 16 14:57:56 EDT 2010

Mike or Penny Novack wrote:
> Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
>
>> No. GnuCash was not developed in the Windows World, but in the Unix
>> world, where user accounts have the requirement to log in on
>> startup. It's a different philosophy.
>>

> Or more precisely, developed in the 'nix world which does not allow
> users to disable "log in requires user name and password".
>
> For a long time now the Windows World has had available requiring
> logging in with user Id and password. Not the fault of the operating
>  system that it allows (foolish) users to disable this fundamental
> level of security. MS is in the business of creating systems for
> money and that's a "convenience" their users seem to want as so many
> seem to do just that. Not require a password and letting their user
> sessions have administrator rights.

One reasons some Windows users login with administrator rights when
running as an ordinary user is that too may programs or libraries seem
to require such rights to work at all. In other words, too many programs
are incorrectly written, incorrectly installed, or incorrectly tested.

Sure some users resent having to login to their own personal computer
that they deem "secure." But others do not know how to run those
incorrect programs without administrator rights.

That is why I run Windows as administrator even when I should not need
it. I have no problems running Linux as a non-administrator.

  ^^-^^ 14:50:01 up 9 days, 22:45, 3 users, load average: 4.79, 4.64, 4.61